OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Saturday, August 28, 2010

THIS IS WHAT'S GOING ON 2

So, that is my situation in August, 2010. (Those who missed the beginning of the story, please read the previous post first.) But Mom's operation and my work were not all the challenges I have to face. Here's my dad -- who shouldn't be, and cannot be forgotten.

Let me tell you something. He suffered from hypochondriasis from his late 30s to early 60s. By the time he was 45 years old, his name was well-known at all the hospitals in the eastern part of the prefecture (well, we only have a handful of hospitals there anyway), because he always insisted that there was something wrong with him and the doctors had to refer him back and forth among their hospitals. Finally he did get sick and had an operation, and after recovering from it, his health complaints have subsided. Well, at least, it looked that way, until this summer.

But soon after mom started seeing the doctor, dad started complaining about his health. He says that his legs are mildly paralyzed and he has trouble walking. A couple of weeks before mom got her worst diagnosis, dad started his pilgrimage to hospitals, with the doctor always saying, "Well, there seems to be nothing wrong..." Then mom's diagnosis seems to have pushed him into full-blown hypochondriasis.

to be cont'd...
posted by obachan, 8/28/2010 03:01:00 PM

4 Comments:

Dear Obachan,
I was just thinking about you this a.m. and hoping that all was going well with you and your family.
From my perspective it's hard not being as important to your children as you once were.
Hang in there.

ダイアナ
commented by Blogger A Prunepicker's Posting, 8/29/2010 1:15 AM  
I don't know the whole picture, but I think that the worsening of your father's hypochondria is the way he has found to express his anxiety about your mother's condition.

My father is Japanese and has the same problem, every time he is facing a difficult situation, he describes the most weird symptoms. I grew up hearing him say that he was going to die young, that he was very ill, etc.

Of course, if you go to the doctor frequently, has a certain age and has a battery of exams done, the probability of finding some real illness gets bigger and bigger. Hope it is not the case.

Things will get better!
commented by Blogger Karen, 8/30/2010 1:08 AM  
Sorry for my English, I wrote "thinking" in Portuguese and some verbs and expressions are wrong...
commented by Blogger Karen, 8/30/2010 1:27 AM  
Dear Obachan,

Hope all is well for you and your family.

I think your feelimg is complicated at the moment...
Just because you want to being a kid as you did old days with your parents...me also like that...
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 9/04/2010 7:00 PM  

Add a comment