OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Thursday, August 26, 2010

THIS IS WHAT'S GOING ON

Finally! The worst part is over. Well, maybe I shouldn't say that because it was not really the "worst" -- I did enjoy some of the new experiences after all -- and also, things can get worse from now on.

Anyway, where should I start? Mom's operation, maybe.
As I posted on my foodblog, mom had been complaining about her foot problem for years, and she finally went to see the doctor several months ago. After visiting 2 different hospitals without getting a clear diagnosis, at the 3rd hospital (University hospital), the doctor found two masses that looked like tumor. After they examined one of them, she was told that they were benign. But the doctor checked out the other one just to make sure, and it was found malignant. Also in her MRI (I guess?) there was a spot in her lung that could have been another tumor metastasized from the one in her foot.

Luckily, PET scan found out that the one in her lung was not malignant. However, to minimize the risk of metastasis, she agreed to have her left foot cut off. That was the end of July.

She was obviously shocked, and I felt devastated. Of course I felt terrible for her, but I have to admit that I was more worried about how it would affect me -- my work, especially.

As I had written before, since May 2010, I have been working for a promotion committee that is trying to make our hometown a geopark. The place was approved as a domestic geopark a few years ago, but the attempt to join the global network of geoparks has not been successful, and this year we are going to give it our best shot. Since the beginning of this year, the committee has been working harder than ever, attending meetings after meetings, improving tourism-related facilities and running loads of events to promote our geopark and educate the public.

And this August was full of important events, including an on-site evaluation by Japanese domestic geopark committee for the endorsement to apply for a membership of the global network. It has been the dream of many local people here, so it is like "We can't fail this time!" because we already failed twice before.

... to be cont'd
posted by obachan, 8/26/2010 11:45:00 AM

8 Comments:

Obachan, I can't even begin to imagine going through all of this! Just know that there are people here, support you and wishing you and your family (and the geopark!)all the best!

Best of luck for the future!
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 8/27/2010 4:43 AM  
I'm sorry to learn about your mom's medical diagnosis and procedure, it must have been really shocking. Hope you both are doing better now. I know it is a difficult situation, but she is lucky to have you around.

Hope everything goes smoothly from now on and your project take off!

Best wishes,

Karen
commented by Blogger Karen, 8/27/2010 6:45 AM  
Obachan! Big hugs to you!!!! It must have been a very very trying time for you. I have elderly parents too and I am always torn between love and resentment. Love because they are my parents and I want to do more for them. Resentment because I have to sacrifice my own needs. Continue to be strong and I pray you will find balance in your life again.
Best wishes
Jo
commented by Anonymous Joanna, 8/27/2010 11:05 AM  
i'm so sorry to hear such news! but no matter what, stay strong obachan! and all the best!
commented by Blogger grub, 8/27/2010 4:22 PM  
My thoughts are with you and your family, Obachan! It can't be an easy time for everyone in your family, but stay strong and positive!

Am wishing you all the best for the geopark project too! It sounds like such a fantastic opportunity for your hometown!
commented by Anonymous Jme, 8/28/2010 9:45 AM  
Stay strong Obachan! Thinking of you and your family. All the best with your project too!
commented by Blogger K and S, 8/28/2010 10:01 AM  
hi obacahn,

am a long-time reader of your blog and i would like to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

good luck on the geopark project. hope things get a lot better soon for you and your family.
commented by Anonymous millet, 9/05/2010 12:47 AM  
sorry to hear about your mom. stay positive and strong. my prayers are with you. good luck!
commented by Blogger Nouvelle Personne, 9/06/2010 5:08 AM  

Add a comment