OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Saturday, January 13, 2007

MY PINOKO DOESN'T SPEAK - PART 3 -

Here, you have to have the patience of a monk when in the waiting room in a big hospital. Maybe it’s the same in other cities in Japan, or in other countries, too. That day (Dec.15, 2006), I knew my turn could be the last, because obviously my case was not urgent. And the insight I got there after a couple of hours’ meditation was: “I should have had a bigger breakfast.”

As expected, my name was called last. There was a male doctor (again!) in the room. No, I’m not complaining. Basically, I don’t care much about the gender of the doctor I consult with. I want a good doctor who is understanding and easy to talk to, regardless of gender. That’s all. But to me, transv. US is a little different story… I don’t want a young, good-looking male doctor OR too-old male doctor for that. I just feel more embarrassed with such doctors. Don’t ask me why. So I was relieved that the male doctor was rather young but not too good-looking. (Sorry! :P)

With palpation, the doctor didn’t think my cyst was big. But when he saw the US (ultrasound) image, I heard him saying, “Hmmmm…there IS one… Rather big...” Big?! You said Big?! He showed me the display screen and said that the cyst was 5 cm in size now, and there were also 3 fibroids, 1 cm each. So it HAS GROWN!! And now I have fibroids, too! :O On the display, my cyst looked like a slightly squished, soft, gray ball, and the fibroids looked like small shadow-like dots. The doctor said that many women live with fibroids, so I didn’t have to be scared. Oh, I’m not scared. I’ve heard/read so about fibroids. But the fact that my cyst grew bigger was a little shocking to me. Five centimeters! HOW BIG IS IT?

At that point, the doctor did not give me a formal diagnosis of dermoid. He scheduled my MRI scan for Dec. 28, which was the earliest available slot, and my next appointment for Jan. 5th, 2007. I signed a consent form regarding the use of contrast agent (because in rare cases patients develop anaphylaxis), then took a blood test in a different room. That was all.
Fee: 5070 yen (copayment) (= apx. US$ 42) *In Japan, copayment is 30% of the expense.
Special healthcare expenditure: 2000 yen. (Not covered by medical insurance)
TOTAL: 7170 yen (incl. tax). (=apx. US$ 60)

After I left the hospital that day, I had to go straight to work and didn’t have time to go back to my apartment until late at night. While at work, I couldn’t think about anything else but my cyst. I was not worried about the cyst (and fibroids, too) being life-threatening or anything. But I just couldn’t get what the size “5 cm“ could mean. How big is 5 cm?! Yeah, I saw my cyst on the display screen, but I have to actually SEE how big it looks in my daily life, compared to the things I see every day around me. But there was no ruler around… I finally went into a stationery shop and grabbed a ruler.
Five centimeters looked rather big for something unwanted in my body. (I didn’t buy the ruler, BTW :P)

To be cont’d


大 きい病院の待合では、坊さん並の忍耐力が要るもんです。多 分、他の都市でも、ひょっとしたら他の国でもそんなもんなのかも。その日(2006年12月15日)私の番は多分最後になるだろうなーと思ってました。明 らかに緊急のケースじゃないから。で、待合室で1, 2時間瞑想して悟ったこと:「朝ごはんもっと食べておくべきだった。」

やっぱり私の 番 は最後。で、入っていくと男の先生(また!)がおられました。いや、不満なわけじゃないです。大体、私は自分がかかるお医者さんの性別にはこだわらない方 です。男か女かよりは、腕が良くて、言うことをよくわかってくれて、話しやすい先生であること。それが第一。ただ、婦人科のアノ手のエコー検査だけは例外 で・・・あれは、若くてハンサムな男の先生とか、すごい年配の男の先生とかだと、よけいハズカシ・・・(理由は聞かないで下さい。)だから、その先生が、 若いほうだけどハンサムすぎることはなかったので、良かったです。(スイマセン!)

触診では、嚢腫はそんなに大きいようには思えないと先 生言ったけど、エコーの画像を見たら、「うーん、あるねぇ、結構大きいねぇ。」と言うのが聞こえました。大きい?大きいって言いました今?!画像を見せな がら、先生は、嚢腫が5cmになっていて、他に、各1cm大の子宮筋腫が3つある、と私に説明してくれました。そっ、育ってたのか嚢腫!!しかも今度は筋 腫までできてるって!:O 画面上、私の嚢腫は、ちょっとつぶれた形のやわらかい灰色の球形みたいで、筋腫はちっちゃい影のような点々に見えました。先生 は、子宮筋腫を持って生活してる人は多いんで、怖がることはないですよ、と言ってくれました。はあ、怖がってはいないです。そんなふうに聞いたり読んだり したことあります。けど、嚢腫が大きくなってた、というのはちょっとショックで。5cmて!それってどーゆー大きさなんですか?

その時点 では、デルモイド(皮様嚢腫)という最終的な診断は出ず。MRIを、12月28日(それが一番早い空きだった)に、次の診療を年明け第一発目2007年の 1月5日に、予約入れてくれました。で、造影剤使用に関するコンセントフォームにサインして(ごくまれにショックを起こす患者さんがいるとのこと)、それ から別の部屋で血液検査のため採血。で、終了。
費用:5070円(検査料3999円を含む。) 保険適用の患者負担分
特定療養費:2000円 自費
計:7170円(含消費税)   也

そ の日は病院を出たあと仕事に直行で、夜遅くまで自分の部屋に帰れなかったけど、仕事中は嚢腫のことばっかり考えてました。いや、嚢腫や筋腫が命にかかわる と思って心配してたわけではなく。ただ、嚢腫の5cmという大きさの意味を把握できなくて。それってどーゆー大きさなんですか?確かにエコーの画像では嚢 腫を見たけど、それが毎日の生活で見慣れた物の大きさに比べて、どのくらい大きく見えるのか、それをこの目で確かめずにいられなくて。でも手近に物差しが ない・・・。しまいに私、文房具屋に入っていって、物差しを手にとって見ました。
5cmって、自分の体の中にある不要な物体にしちゃ、そこそこ大きいじゃ ないですか。
(ちなみに物差しは買わずに店を出ました。)

続く・・・。


Categories:
posted by obachan, 1/13/2007 01:27:00 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment