OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Friday, August 26, 2005

OBACHAN WANTS TO LEARN ENGLISH

I was going to visit my parents’ house this weekend, but looks like I need to postpone the visit. Well, maybe it’s a good chance to stay in my apartment and re-start some things that I haven’t been doing since the beginning of the summer. Gee, now I think about it, I haven’t played the keyboard for a L O N G time…!! :O

One quick damn question about English grammar:
Talking about subject-verb agreement, is “a pair of” considered singular or plural? Do you say “A pair of shoes IS lost” or “A pair of shoes ARE lost?” A British guy and I got caught up in this question yesterday, and since we didn't have an access to the internet when we were talking about that, we had to sink in the deep mud for quite a while. (Of course I'm kidding.) :P

I always thought it was singular, but going through some grammar sites and forums on the net later, I found that it is treated as plural in certain situations. According to American Heritage Online, “A plural verb is used when the members are considered as individuals.” Is that so in British English, too?
----

I guess I simplified the example a little too much. The actual sentence we were wondering about was more like this one:

A pair of zori, Japanese traditional sandals, is/are lost.

I thought that the inserted part wouldn’t make a difference and the verb would be singular because the subject of the sentence was still “a pair.”

I really want to know how it is in British English grammar, though. They seem to have a bit different idea about singular/plural issue, because most of British people I knew said "a number of people" is singular because there is "a" in front of "number of people."
posted by obachan, 8/26/2005 10:33:00 AM

5 Comments:

As an American speech/language technician in a public school, I teach my students to use it singularly. A pair is. I'm sure someone else will disagree. 

Posted by Debbe
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 8/28/2005 1:17 PM  
I know it's "a pair of is". I'm not an expert but this is one I learnt very well. It becomes plural if you don't use the word pair--just "my shoes are".


 

Posted by ting
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 8/29/2005 1:20 AM  
I know it's "a pair of is". I'm not an expert but this is one I learnt very well. It becomes plural if you don't use the word pair--just "my shoes are".


 

Posted by ting
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 8/29/2005 1:20 AM  
the subject is one pair, therefore, the verb must agree. one pair is a singular subject (one pair, 2 pairS, 3 pairS). so, "one pair IS"... do NOT get confused with what comes after the word pair. that's called PREPOSITION. in fact, a good rule is to ignore everything after the subject. preposition is easily distinguishable by words such as "of, around, above, across", etc., PLUS the object. in your example:

A PAIR = subject (singular)
OF = (preposition)
SHOES = (object)
IS = verb (agrees with singular subject)

hope that helps. my mom is an English professor. we had to have perfect grammar at home by the time we were 3 years old! 

Posted by purplegirl
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 8/29/2005 7:20 AM  
Debbe 
Thank you. I’m almost positive that most Americans would agree with you, but, yeah, there will be different opinions, too.

Ting
So nice to hear from you! Thanks for your explanation.

purplegirl
Oh, long time no hear! Thank you for a detailed explanation. No wonder your grammar is always perfect in your blog.
 

Posted by obachan
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 8/29/2005 11:37 AM  

Add a comment