OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Sunday, August 07, 2005

GETTING READY

The preparation for the festival has been going on here and there in the city. My workplace – the izakaya pub – is on the Otesuji street which is going to be the main dance venue at the festival. There the biggest dance parade will take place on the 10th and 11th this month. On my way to work, I see the changes there every day and feel more and more excited about the festival.

They have been setting up the bleacher seats for the audience, and lights by the trees for the night-time parade. Near the izakaya I work at, colorful lanterns (with sponsors’ names on) are hung along the street.

Dancers are practicing at many places in the city, almost every day since beginning of August. On my way to work, I can see at least 3 teams practicing in a parking lot, a small park and elementary school gym. They are getting better day by day.

I made a small drawstring bag the other day. At the festival, we (dancers) have to keep moving from one venue to another all day, so need to bring along some valuables such as money to buy sports drinks, room key, cell phone, etc. I’ve always wanted a small, Japanese-style drawstring bag to keep my valuables in, and finally I made one myself. It is handsewn, because I don’t have a sewing machine.

So if you would have a chance to come and see our Yosakoi festival this summer, and happen to see a middle-aged woman with this bag, that would be me ;)
posted by obachan, 8/07/2005 12:12:00 PM

2 Comments:

Obachan;
I can feel the excitement!!!!! Much luck to you...The handsewn bag is so wonderful.. You are very patient and talented. I wouldn't have the courage to sew by hand...ha ha...
 

Posted by Carlyn
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 8/07/2005 9:44 PM  
Sewing this bag wasn't as terrible as I had expected. It was a real small one, after all. 

Posted by obachan
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 8/14/2005 10:37 PM  

Add a comment