OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

TYPHOON IS COMING

Typhoon Melor is coming.

Mom and I went to my aunt's house and closed all the rain shutters there. Dad picked most of the early oranges yesterday, and closed up all the doors and windows of the barns and garages this morning. After lunch today, I took down the laundry poles and took in all the hangers.

It's definitely getting windier, but strangely enough, the waves are not as rough as it should be with a strong typhoon like this one; The ocean was much more stormy when a weaker typhoon passed far offshore last month. I don't know if this is a good sign or a bad one...

Dad is worried about the winter vegetables that sprouted only a few weeks ago. He doesn't expect them to survive this typhoon and he is already planning to start all over again. Mom is joking about the freeze-dried food in the emergency bag being expired. Evacuation -- Gee... I don't even want to think about it. I never want to go outside in the storm with my old parents.

When I was a kid, I got so excited when a typhoon was coming, and wanted to evacuate so badly. I almost looked forward to the power outage, because the idea of eating meals in candle light was so thrilling. Now I'm old and need no excitement of that kind. But I keep watching the typhoon information on TV-- I never get tired of it.
posted by obachan, 10/07/2009 01:01:00 PM

4 Comments:

hello obachan!
i hope you are doing fine despite the typhoon. it is quite strong and right now I am stuck here in the laboratory because of this typhoon
commented by Blogger Unknown, 10/07/2009 11:29 PM  
Hi badudels,
Oh you didn't have to stay in the lab all night, did you? How was Nankoku? Here we had a little heavy rain and strong wind, but nothing serious. I hope the typhoon didn't cause serious damage or screw up someone's research in Nogakubu.
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/08/2009 7:32 AM  
Best of luck with the typhoon. Sounds like it didn't hit you too hard from your comment.

When I was a kid I used to wish so hard that we would have an emergency landing in the plane so that we would get to try out the emergency slides -so I understand how you felt about a typhoon.
commented by Anonymous Nicole, 10/08/2009 7:50 AM  
No, it didn't hit this area, but it caused serious damage to other parts of Japan. It even brought a couple of tornadoes and broke houses in northern part, I heard.

Emergency slides! Yeah, they looked really attractive to me, too, when I was a kid. :D
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/09/2009 6:59 AM  

Add a comment