OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Saturday, September 12, 2009

UNDER A DIFFERENT ROOF


Last Thursday, I spent an afternoon and night at my aunt's house ALONE. Yes, it's my project of securing a place where I can be totally alone and relax, as written in my previous post, in order to keep my mental sanity. :P

I truly enjoyed the broadband Internet service there, sitting at the desk near the window. This photo doesn't show it very well, but there's a green curtain of morning glory vines right outside the window, and it makes absolutely refreshing green shade. And what was great was that Youtube videos didn't stop every two seconds!! LOL So the afternoon was really stress-free, at least while I was playing with my laptop. I even enjoyed watering the flowers and small trees in the front and backyard in the evening. That was part of the deal with my aunt: I can stay at her place as long as I want and use anything in the house if I clean the house and water her plants.

I have to admit, though, that it was far from "stress-free" at night. You know, using someone's kitchen or bathroom can be awkward and sometimes really stressful. My plan was to have a very Western -- actually Italian -- meal that I can never have at my parents' house. But the pasta completely cooled while I was looking for a fork, and I couldn't find coffee lightener anywhere because my aunt drinks coffee black. The fridge was full of mystery packs, and she didn't have the things usually needed for an Italian meal, such as olive oil, black pepper, grated cheese, etc....

Nevertheless, I had a good time. It was so nice to take a break from the everyday routine with my parents and be myself. I needed it.

Actually my crazy plan included waking up early in the morning and trying surf casting on the beach, but I slept in and had to give up that idea. (Later I was told that the beach wasn't a good place for surf casting because of the hidden concrete blocks under the water. I guess I didn't miss much.)

OK. Now, when will be the next time? Probably after the 20th this month. And I'm going to bring in some stuff to make my stay there more comfortable... Gee, I've got to make a long list.
posted by obachan, 9/12/2009 05:38:00 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment