OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Thursday, May 03, 2007

PREPARING ...

First day of four consecutive holidays. I’ve decided to use these holidays for cleaning my room and baking goodies. Why baking? To cheer myself up before and after the surgery. I’m going to bake a batch of my favorite oatmeal raisin cookies and store them in an air-tight container so that I can eat them at the hospital. Also I’m going to bake my favorite “creamy apple cake” and freeze it before I go to the hospital. Then when I come back to my apartment from the hospital, the lovely cake will brighten up my gray days when I’m still too weak to cook or bake or go shopping. How about that? Also, the coming recovery period will be a perfect opportunity to try some food delivery services I’ve heard about but never tried yet. Seriously, I can’t think of any better excuse to try this kamameshi delivery.

Anyway, right now my room is a complete mess… Boy, this is going to be a major purge. I have kept so many books and materials from my days in the U.S., which I thought I needed to keep close to me to remind myself how energetic I was then. But let’s face it… seeing them gradually gathering dust was not empowering at all, and the space occupied by such “glory of the past” stuff was actually dead -- nothing new was coming out from there. I was a fool who didn’t admit that.

Do you know what opened my eyes? Remember the post that I wrote about the liar(s)? Soon after I wrote that post, I actually left the volunteer activity that I had been doing with that person. Then for the first time, I realized how much I hated feeling disgusted like that. After I completely withdrew from it, the change was amazing… The skies started looking bluer and trees greener, and I’ve been feeling so energetic since then. It was then that I looked at the dusty corner of my room, and my inner voice said, “Hey, they’re not making me happy at all. Now I can make this part of the room a better place.”

Trust me. I’ll struggle with the mess for a while, and be feeling much, much happier on the last day of this Golden Week.

---------
May 5, 2007
* Great news. Today I unexpectedly found 40,000 yen (US$332.82) in my old bag before I threw it away.
:D

---------
May 6, 2007
Now I'm done with cleaning my room. Yay! Also managed to bake an apple cake and 6 blueberry muffins this evening. They are all sitting in the freezer now.
Tomorrow is going to be my major shopping day at Daiso 100-yen shop. Yeah, I'm getting ready.
posted by obachan, 5/03/2007 09:49:00 AM

5 Comments:

Wow! And I'm happy if I just find a "lucky" penny. Good luck with the spring cleaning. There's never a bad time for a fresh start.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/05/2007 10:28 PM  
(nodding in agreement...)yes, what you said about clinging onto old dreams is very true. sometimes you have to ditch it and make new ones. easy concept, but easier trap for many.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/06/2007 12:17 PM  
You been a busy bee! There must be millions things to do before you check into the hospital. Afterward there will be billions things to do. A little sweet nibbles and lovely deserts do help though:) Wish you good luck!

Ahh~ Things I miss about living in Asia is the delievery service. Even late at night! The food look good, especially ones on kids menu. lol! The ultimate comfort food is from childhood don't you think? What was your favorite sweets from childhood? Mine was soft vanilla icecream.yum

Ireney
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/08/2007 5:52 PM  
June
The spring cleaning was a right thing to do. But I had an allergic reaction to the house dust and had to take allergy medicne for about a week. So I had to bring the medicine to the hospital and show it to the nurse.

Edmame
Now that I'm back from the hospital after a very unusual experience, I think I can make a new start now...

Ireney
You are absolutely right. There were billions things waiting for me. LOL
What I loved in my childhood was what we call "Purin" here, which is sort of like soft custard pudding.
commented by Blogger obachan, 6/03/2007 10:27 PM  
Hello
commented by Anonymous Humidifiers Edinburg, 10/15/2022 2:35 AM  

Add a comment