OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

MY PINOKO DOESN’T SPEAK – PART 9 –


May 10th, 2007  -- Day 2: Bad decision?? --


I couldn’t sleep well. I managed to sneak out the four-bed room at 3:30 am and fill my growling stomach with inari-zushi, but it didn’t help. The room was a bit too warm (or was it my hot flash??), and hearing other patients toss and turn made me feel restless. Maybe I should have brought ear-plugs like someone advised on her blog….

Around 10:30 am, I met the anesthesiologist at the nurses’ station. He explained the procedure of general anesthesia using a small leaflet and filling out a form, and his handwriting was again… uh…you know. One more addition to my personal survey on doctors’ handwritings. ;) Anyway, what I heard from him about general anesthesia was an education to me – I had googled quite a bit about dermoid and laparoscopy, but not about anesthesia.

Yes, I did have the typical concerns... What if it doesn’t work on me and I feel the pain? Sleeping pills didn’t work on me a couple of times before… like the time I couldn’t fall asleep after taking 2 tablets of Etizolam. What if the anesthetic wears off earlier than they expect and I wake up in the middle of the surgery??... But no worries. They keep giving me anesthetic during the operation and stop it properly so that I can wake up properly after the operation is finished. Good grief!

Another thing I didn't know until then was that a tube was supposed to be inserted through the mouth into the windpipe after I went unconscious. It was for helping me breathe during the operation, he said, because spontaneous breathing can be very unstable when under general anesthesia. And when talking about possible risks, he emphasized the risk of damaging teeth, mouth or throat while inserting the tube, in addition to the possible allergic reactions to the drug(s). My god, I had no idea what anesthesia had to do with teeth, but now I know…

But the real excitement came after that. He started, “BTW, we would like to ask for your cooperation…” It was about EMT’s tracheal intubation training. Then he also mentioned an accident which happened just recently (May 2007).

Anesthesiologist: “Have you heard about the case that an EMT inserted the tube into the esophagus by mistake?”
Me: “Uh, No…. What happened to the patient?”
A: “She passed away.”
M: “ .......... ”

Now, this time I WAS scared. I knew why he needed to tell me that, but it scared the hell out of me. He went on explaining, using another printout, what kind of trainee would be operating and how a professional anesthesiologist (he) would supervise it and secure the patient’s safety, etc. etc. But still the decision wasn’t easy for me. Sure this will look nice if I say YES here and share it on my blog, -- the readers will go “Oh, you are so brave, obachan!” -- But is it worth risking my life?!

Finally I said “Yes,” but believe me, it wasn’t for a juicy blog topic. I think what it is is that I have a tendency to emphasize with health care providers. Maybe it is the influence of many manga and TV dramas I got hooked on, but that’s not all… I couldn’t help saying “Yes” when I remembered how it was when I was a trainee in mental health in the U.S. more than 10 years ago. Gosh, it was a nightmare to find enough numbers of guinea pi… no, volunteers to give WAIS-R and WISC!! How can I forget that? Those volunteers were my lifesavers. Think about that... **And many patients must have volunteered for this training here at this hospital and had no problem at all. All professionals start as trainees and they have to practice on people. Maybe it’s my turn to return the favor to the world… ** But…will I be able to sleep tonight? :(

Also that day, a nurse came to my bed to check if I had all the necessary items for the surgery ready. I had been told to buy a T-bandage, abdominal bandage(s) and two paper diapers. (Those were packed in one kit and available at the vending machine in the hospital. One kit was a little over 1000 yen, IIRC.) She wrapped them with my bath towel and told me to give them to the nurse before the operation. She also advised me to take a shower and wash my hair. Good idea. I won't be able to wash my hair for several days after surgery.

That night, I took a gastric acid inhibitor (Famotidine??), a sleeping pill (Lormetazepam?) and a laxative (Pursennid?) at 9 pm as scheduled. Thanks to the sleeping pill, I was able to sleep for 4 hours. Oh, better than nothing. At least, I took 4 hours break from worrying about a tracheal tube going wrong way in my throat. If I had known more details of the accident I heard from the anesthesiologist, I would have felt more at ease. From what I read on the paper after coming back from the hospital, the situation of the incident seems quite different from a closely supervised training in a hospital. But not knowing much details, my imagination was almost getting out of hand that night. Darn me! If I have to worry like this, why did I say OK in the first place? But I guess that's the way I am... Oh, come on, it will be OK... ( Repeat ** about 30 times. )

And actually, the worry wasn’t the only thing that disturbed my sleep. My back pain started, and I hated myself for not bringing a cushion or something to the hospital. You know, one of those tempur stuff, or "powder beads" cusions. It was my biggest mistake.


To be cont'd...

入院2日目 (手術前日)

… 眠れませんでした。泣) 朝の3時半に4人部屋を抜け出して、いなりずしで空腹を満たしたのに、それでもダメ。部屋がちょっと暑かったのと(それとも私の 「のぼせ」だったか?)、他の患者さんが寝返りをうつのが耳についてしまって。ああ誰かがブログに書いてたように、耳栓持って来るべきだったか…。

午 前10時半ごろ、ナースステーションで麻酔科の先生から説明がありました。ちっちゃなパンフレット見ながら、説明書にいろいろ記入しながら。で、またこの センセの手書きの字が…以下略。とにかく、そこで聞いたことはほとんど知らなかったことばっかりでした。デルモイドと腹腔鏡についてはだいぶググッたけ ど、麻酔に関してはしなかったんで。

そーなんです。私もよくある心配をしてたんですよ。もし麻酔が効かなくて痛みを感じたらどうしよ う、って。私、睡剤が効かなかったことあるしね~、あのデパス2錠飲んで効かなかった時とか。もし、センセが思うより早く麻酔が切れて、手術の最中に目が 覚めてしまったらどうしよう…。けど心配要らなかったです。手術の間、麻酔薬の投与は続けられてて、手術終わったら目が覚めるようなタイミングを見計らっ てストップするものらしいので。ああ良かった~!

もうひとつ、その時まで知らなかったのは、意識がなくなった後、口から気管へチューブが 挿入されるということ。全身麻酔がかかってる間は、自力の呼吸は不安定になるから、呼吸を助けるためにだそうです。リスクの説明の時には、麻酔薬へのアレ ルギー反応のほかに、チューブ挿入の時に歯とか喉にダメージを与えるかもしれないことをシッカリ言っておられました。何で麻酔と歯が関係あるのかと思った けど、そういうことやったんかぁ…。

ところが、ホンマに刺激的やったのはこの後ですよ。麻酔科医のセンセが、「ところで、ご協力いただきたいことがあるんですが、」と言い始めて、何かと思ったら救急救命士の気管挿管実習の協力お願いしますの話。で、センセはつい最近、5月の始めにあった事故の話をしたんです。

麻酔科医の先生: 救急救命士が誤ってチューブを食道に挿管したケースを知ってますか?
私: いぃえ…。患者さんどうなったんですか?
先生: 亡くなりました。
私: ………..。

こ れはビビリましたよ~。なぜセンセがその話をしておかないかんかったんかはわかるけど、でもコワかったです。センセは、また別の説明書を使いながら、どう いう救命士がこの実習をするのかとか、患者の安全のために麻酔科医(このセンセ)が監督指導についているとか、いろいろ説明してくれたけど、それでも返事 するには迷いましたわ。そりゃ引き受けたらこの話はいいブログネタになるやろけど-- 読んでくれた人が、まあObachanなんて勇気があるの!とか言うてくれるやろけど、そのために命掛ける程のことか??

最終的に私OK したけど、決してブログネタ欲しさのせいじゃないです。信じて下さい。結局私は、医療従事者に感情移入するクセがあるんでしょう。たぶん、今までにハマっ たマンガやらテレビドラマの影響もあるけど、それだけじゃなくて。私が10年以上前、アメリカでメンタルヘルスの分野で訓練受けてた時のことを思い出した ら、協力しましょうという気になってしまったんです。もぉあのIQ テストの実習のためのモルモ…じゃないボランティアの数を確保するのにどれっっっっっっっほど苦労したか。忘れられるもんですか。あの時のボランティアは 救 いの神やったやん、考えてもみて…。**それにここの病院で、同 じようにこの実習に協力して何の問題もなかった患者さんもいっぱいいるはずやし。プロも最 初はみんな訓練生やったはずやし、みんな生きてる人間で練習せないかんし。たぶん、今回は、私がこの世に恩返しをする番なのかも。….けど、今晩眠れるや ろか….。**

ところでこの日はほかに、看護婦さん が、手術時に必要な備品で私が揃えるものをチェックしに来てくれました。T字帯と、腹 帯と、紙オムツ2枚買うようにと前に言われてたんです。(これは全部セットになって病院内の自動販売機で売ってました。1セットが1000円チョットだっ たと思います、記憶が正しければ。)看護婦さんにシャワー浴びて髪も洗っておくように言われました。そうよねぇー手術後何日か髪も洗えないやろうしねぇ。

そ の夜9時に、スケジュールどおり、胃酸を抑える薬(ガスター)と眠剤(エバミール)と下剤(プルゼニド)を服用。眠剤のおかげで4時間眠れました。まぁ無 いよ りマシ。少なくとも4時間は、気管チューブが間違った方向に行ったらどうしようという心配から一休みしたわけやから。もし、麻酔科のセンセから聞いた事故 について私が もっ と詳しく知ってたら、もっと気が楽だったろうと思います。退院後に新聞で読んだところでは、事故があった時の状況は、病院内で監督指導の先生がついて るのとはかなり違ってたらしいから。けど、そういうことを知らないもんで、その晩には想像が勝手に飛躍してしまって。ああもぉ私のアホ。こんな 心配するくらいなら、OKしなけりゃ良かったのに。まぁ私ってこういうタチなんや…。もぉ、きっと大丈夫よ。(以下、**部分の繰り返しを30回ぐらい。)

そ れに、あまり良く眠れなかったのはこの心配ごとだけのせいだけじゃないです。腰痛が始まっちゃって。なんでクッションか何か持ってこなかったんやろうと自 分に腹を立ててました。あの、低反発腰枕というヤツとか、パウダービーズのクッションとか。もうこれ、最大のミスでした。


続く...

Categories:
posted by obachan, 5/23/2007 02:47:00 PM

2 Comments:

Your very good description is making me feel like I was there, not good thoughts, oooh I can imagine the tube too much, anyway a bit off topic but I have just Tagged you (its a 7 random facts about yourself thing and you don't have to take part if you don't want to :) ) will be sending some things too you this weekend, keep well and rest.
commented by Blogger Ian, 5/24/2007 6:54 AM  
Thank you so much for your caring and concern, demon. I'm looking forward to receiving the package.
And I'll work on the meme sometime in the near future (but please give me some time ;))
commented by Blogger obachan, 5/27/2007 8:34 AM  

Add a comment