OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

WOULDN'T IT BE BETTER IF WE DIDN'T HAVE THEM AT ALL?

Not long after we heard about the tragedy at Virginia Tech, a mayor was shot to death in a southern prefecture here in this country. He was shot when he came back from campaigning for this coming Sunday’s election, and the murderer was a gangster.

Some will argue that because today’s society is this dangerous, each person should be allowed to protect him/herself with a gun. But… honestly, I can’t help asking this question aloud: ARE GUNS REALLY MAKING A SOCIETY ANY SAFER?
posted by obachan, 4/18/2007 11:04:00 AM

3 Comments:

no, if you ask me, it's more unsafe because guns are so accessible, especially here in the u.s.

How are you doing, obachan? Just dropped by to say hi :)
commented by Blogger JMom, 4/20/2007 2:32 AM  
I wish I could say, "No guns!"

But people already have them. It's too late for that.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 4/27/2007 11:58 AM  
Jmom
Thanks for dropping by, Jmom. I'm doing OK, getting ready for the surgery.

I still remember how it felt when I held a real gun in my hands when I was in the U.S. One of my classmates let me hold hers. She bought it for self-defense. I still remember the complicated feeling I had then... She was a very warm, cheerful and kind middle-aged woman who always helped me. In Japan, you can never relate such a warm and caring woman with a gun. But showing me the gun, she seemed to be very proud of her strength, independence and thoughtfulness… And yeah, it was obvious that she needed a self-protection. And the sad part was -- I couldn’t think of any other alternatives which were effective enough to convince her that she didn’t need a gun.

Nokomarie
Yeah, it's not easy... I'm not 100% sure if it's too late, though.
commented by Blogger obachan, 5/03/2007 10:56 AM  

Add a comment