OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Friday, November 24, 2006

OBACHAN MEETS STEAM LOCOMOTIVE

A couple of day s ago, when I was working on my kaiseki posts, I thought I heard something outside that I was not supposed to hear. It sounded like a locomotive whistle. -- No way. We don’t have steam locomotives here any more. It must be TV. -- But the TV was not on. Then I heard it again, very clearly, from outside the window. No, it cannot be true! Or maybe I’m going crazy… maybe I worked too hard on the kaiseki posts…

But later that day, I found that it was a real SL. Our local TV news said that the local railroad company was going to run a stem locomotive for several days for some kind of event. -- My god, real SL! If I miss this chance, I may not have another chance to see real SL running. -- So I checked the time table, and waited for the SL at JR Kochi station this afternoon with my camera hanging from my neck.

Here’s some shots I took today.



There were many people on the platform trying to take photos of the SL.















I've seen train drivers dressed like this in movies or TV dramas only, but they were real today! And the steam whistle sounded so nice. (That sound reminded me of the anime, Galaxy Express 999.)
posted by obachan, 11/24/2006 04:39:00 PM

5 Comments:

Any passengers in the train? Reminds me of Thomas,the train or the anime "Polar Express". I wonder what they are going to do with the train after the events are over?
commented by Blogger wonda, 11/26/2006 3:56 PM  
Yep. I heard that all the seats were reserved.
Oh, Thomas! Yeah, I like that anime, too. :)
commented by Blogger obachan, 11/28/2006 11:14 AM  
Nice! I have been studying Japanese Steam locomotives for a while. I am actually a Steam Locomotive Fireman on a railroad.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 12/26/2012 2:05 PM  
Oh, you are. So nice to hear from someone whose job is actually related to steam locomotives.
Thanks for responding to this post.
:)
commented by Blogger obachan, 12/26/2012 11:19 PM  
Check out RMLI for the latest news!
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 12/27/2012 12:39 PM  

Add a comment