OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Thursday, October 12, 2006

PREPARING FOR THE AUTUMN FESTIVAL - PART 1 -


This is the ornament that has been hung in front of my parents’ house for the past couple of months (I guess). Some of you might know that this symbolizes something sacred in Shinto religion. Oh, no, it does NOT mean that my parents did something awesome and the local folks started worshiping them. It just means that it is our family’s turn to take care of the autumn festival of my hometown this year. My hometown consists of 3 or 4 small sections, and each year one family from each section has to be responsible for sharing the festival-related works.

In the beginning of this year, my dad was given several pages of printouts that describe the responsibilities of the festival staff. I know he had asked around quite a bit to find people for the various festival-related tasks. There are several rituals involved in this festival, including a very unique one, and securing enough manpower in this underpopulated area without repeatedly burdening the same people must be a headache.

I know there are many blogs and websites about Japanese autumn festivals, introducing the beauty of the traditional customs and the histories behind them. But here I'm going to do something a little different... I'd like to post about the behind-the-scene stuff of a festival -- about what it’s like to prepare for such a festival in a rural place in Japan. The main festival day is this coming Sunday, and I'll be in my hometown again on the 14th and 15th to help with cooking and cleaning. Hope I have a chance to shoot some photos while cooking rice and washing dishes. ;)

to be cont'd...

----
Dragonfly
These are just a couple of photos I shot last weekend. Absolutely nothing to do with the festival.















Nanten (Nandiana or Heavenly Bamboo)



Categories:
posted by obachan, 10/12/2006 02:33:00 PM

2 Comments:

Obachan,

All your photographs are beautiful. Very professional looking. I'd still like some captions. It took me a while to see the middle photo is of a dragonfly and I would like to know what the berries are.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the festival. Keep us posted.

June
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 10/17/2006 6:07 AM  
Thank you, June. OK, I just put the captions. The berries are called "Nanten" here and we often use its leaves to garnish some traditional Japanese dishes.
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/17/2006 10:35 AM  

Add a comment