OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

NOW WHAT'S NEXT?

Well, I guess writing about our autumn festival meant really something to me. I’m feeling so relieved, and somehow feeling a sense of closure… It was almost like having some kind of closure on my long-term issue related to my hometown. Something is telling me that it's not completely resolved but I can move onto a new chapter. After I uploaded the festival posts, I started feeling like throwing away some old stuff and making some room on the bookshelf, and now I’m in the middle of a big "purging project." It might include the cupboard in the kitchen, too.

Also, after celebrating a “Japanese” festival, it’s time for a Western one. My preparation for the coming Halloween party (Oct. 28th, I guess) has been started. I spent some time with my little sewing machine yesterday and I’m going to do so this afternoon, too ;) You’ll see what I’m going to dress up as pretty soon.  
;)
posted by obachan, 10/25/2006 11:33:00 AM

7 Comments:

Love your Halloween graphic. Are you happy--you scared me! Boo to you too!
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 10/26/2006 12:07 AM  
Hahaha... Surprise, ha?
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/26/2006 9:51 AM  
same here - thought i had a wrong URL!
commented by Blogger moorl, 10/26/2006 7:20 PM  
Hehehe... Sometimes obachan is so unpredictable ;)
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/28/2006 12:42 AM  
Hi Obachan! Thanks for your lovely posts about your festival. I really enjoyed reading them and seeing your beautiful pictures. I especially liked this because it gives me a connection to my mom, who grew up in Japan. But when she moved to the US, she didn't bring any customs with her. So I grew up celebrating Portuguese festivals and of course all the American ones. Your posts really make me wish I could spend a year or two in Japan! (Of course, I would have to magically learn Japanese overnight too, but since I'm already daydreaming, I'll just throw that in too!)
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 10/29/2006 1:49 AM  
Oh, I really wish you could come to Japan! Learning Japanese language beforehand will help, but even without it, you will enjoy your stay in Japan, I think.
I wonder if the festival your mom experienced in Japan was similar to ours. And now you triggered my curiosity about Portuguese festivals! Thanks Amanda. ;)
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/30/2006 10:30 AM  
Hi yuka,
So nice to hear from you! No, I'm not from Sukumo -- I'm from the opposite side of the prefecture. So they have this kind of Mikoshi-arai festival in Sukumo?? Gosh, they are our rivals. ;)

It must be pretty cold but so beautiful in Connecticut now... Over here the maple leaves are not really turning colors yet. When I shoot some photos of autumn leaves, I'll upload them here.
commented by Blogger obachan, 11/15/2006 11:12 AM  

Add a comment