OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Thursday, June 22, 2006

UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTER

The other day, on my way home from work, I was trying to make up my mind about buying a box of high-polyphenol chocolate at a convenience store. Then the music they had on came into my consciousness, because I heard the sound of Sanshin, an Okinawan instrument. It reminded me of the guys who used to perform “street live (live concert in the street)” in the underground shopping area in Umeda, Osaka. They were really good and so many - sometimes over a hundred – people would come to enjoy their “street live” every week, and I was one of them.

As I recalled their performance, the music started sounding more and more like theirs. I knew they went to Tokyo several years ago to be a professional band, so it was quite possible that the song was their work. I hurried home (after buying the chocolate) and googled for any information about them, and yes, what I heard at Lawson was their latest song.

So many years have passed since I saw them last time in Osaka... It’s encouraging to know that some people do not give up on their dreams. For me it really is.
posted by obachan, 6/22/2006 12:45:00 PM

4 Comments:

It's great that there are people like you to support their music :)

Post something about them. Would like to know how the Sanshin sounds like
commented by Blogger Pinkity, 6/23/2006 1:56 AM  
Hi pinkity,

Thanks for your comment. This is NOT their work, but you can listen to the sound of Sanshin onthis site.
Click on the ♪ marks near the photo of the CD. (Needs RealOne Player.)
commented by Blogger obachan, 6/23/2006 4:19 PM  
After reading this blog I decided to listen to some sanshin, then I found some clips of Shamisen as well and my searches led me to some music by the Yoshida Brothers, WOW amazing I love it, when I come to Japan I will definitely try to get one of their CD's. Thanks to you I have found something new to enjoy:)
commented by Blogger Ian, 6/24/2006 3:30 AM  
You're quite welcome. I love Yoshida brothers, too. :)
commented by Blogger obachan, 6/25/2006 11:52 PM  

Add a comment