OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Monday, June 26, 2006

IMPULSIVE BUY

Yukata (summer kimono) was on sale at UNIQLO in AEON Kochi shopping mall this weekend, and they gave an unbelievable discount. They had a bunch of “yukata sets” each consisting of a yukata, an obi and two strings packed in a plastic bag. Each set cost around 2000 something yen, and the one I picked was even cheaper -- only 1000 yen! Impossible price! Usually one yukata alone costs several thousand yen or more than 1 man yen (apx. 86 USD). I had been wanting to buy yukata for years, but couldn’t afford it. Now the price tag with “¥1000” printed on told me that I HAD TO buy the set, even though I had no idea where I could go this summer dressed in that yukata.

After coming back from the mall, I had fun in my room putting on the yukata and trying a few different obi-tying. It was a good practice. If my niece wants to wear yukata this summer, I would be able to do a much better job putting it on her. So I guess the 1000 yen was not a total waste.
posted by obachan, 6/26/2006 01:02:00 AM

2 Comments:

oh what a wonderful impulse buy! i didn't buy a yukata while i was in tokyo last summer, and now i regret it. it was SUCH a wonderful thing to wear during the summertime. so comfortable and refreshing all at once.
commented by Blogger xtinehlee, 6/28/2006 2:05 AM  
Hi c(h)ristine,
Sounds like you loved yukata so much when you were in Japan. Yeah, I think it's refreshing, too, except that the strings and obi are a bit too tight when I want to eat/drink a lot. The worst thing is that I cannot ride my bicycle when in yukata. ;P But still I love to wear it once in a while.
commented by Blogger obachan, 6/29/2006 12:51 AM  

Add a comment