OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Thursday, February 16, 2006

I OFTEN FALL ASLEEP WITH THE TV ON

My sleep pattern has been affected by the Olympic games on TV recently. The other day I fell asleep with the TV on, and when I awoke, pairs figure skating was going on. A Chinese pair was on the ice, just finishing their performance, and the announcer was repeating “They didn’t give up!” Later I learned that they tried throw quad salchow and the female skater could not land and hurt her knee. But they continued their performance and won a silver medal!

What a great story to wake up to. :) I’m sick of starting my day with news about accounting fraud by an IT company or falsified earthquake-resistance data.
posted by obachan, 2/16/2006 12:45:00 AM

3 Comments:

it was quite courageous for the Chinese girl to still continue. I'm sure that a large part was due to being embarrassed in front of a world wide audience. A live audience to boot moreso knowing that millions were watching her skate, back in China. Of course, the quad had never been done before, I believe, so you know how that goes.
commented by Blogger RONW, 2/18/2006 12:01 AM  
Obachan;
Yes, falling asleep in front to the television is becoming a habit with me also....The Chinese pair were probably prompted by the thoughts of the officials back home. Eeekkkk, Am I too synical?
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 2/18/2006 9:36 PM  
RON
Well, to me it didn’t look like a shame-based motivation. My impression was that they just didn’t want to leave something they’d been working so hard for just half-way done like that. But, of course, we are just projecting ourselves and only they know their true feelings, I guess.

carlyn
I don’t know. I just couldn’t see it that way.
commented by Blogger obachan, 2/19/2006 7:34 PM  

Add a comment