OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

HOW'S YOUR NEW YEAR STARTING OFF?

Happy New Year!

The year 2006 had a rather rough start for me. I’m resting now with cold compress on my right leg and I have to leave for the izakaya work again in a few hours. Ahhhh…. Hope it’s not going to be too busy tonight.

-------
Thank goodness! It wasn't too busy at the izakaya. But tomorrow my daytime work will start...

I’m thinking about taking my mom to an onsen (hot spring) sometime this winter. She never asks me to take her, but she always talks about her “dream plan” of staying for a couple of days at a small, cosy inn with nice hot spring, without having to do any cleaning, washing and cooking.

From my past experiences with her, I’m almost sure that on the 2nd day she would start feeling guilty for not doing any household tasks and also start saying that the food she is used to eating in her hometown is the best for her. You know those people. ;) But I guess she wants to have a stimulating experience. My real plan actually is forcing her to go to the hospital to have her feet examined in exchange for this onsen stay. She’s been complaining about the pain in her right foot for the longest time but never sees a doctor. You know those people. ;)

This year I’m going to do the things “I’ve always been wanting to do” as much as possible. In 2005 I set the basis for that. This year I'm going to go one step forward.
posted by obachan, 1/03/2006 04:07:00 PM

6 Comments:

how can u maintain 2 blogs ? Awesome.
commented by Blogger FooDcrazEE, 1/03/2006 11:02 PM  
Hi again sorry if I seem to be a nuisance;) I am sorry to hear you had a rough start, but I am sure your year will get much better:),
I used to get very painful feet, especially on the heel and under the bridge of my foot, some days I could not walk, apparently I had inflammation on tendons in my feet and medication and foot supports were not helping at all so I went and had five courses of acupuncture, now I very rarely get foot pain which is a wonderful relief:). I hope your mom's feet get better...I was going to email you and ask you to say hello to my wife next week when she is in Kochi but thought I would appear rude...;) take care of yourself and your mom
commented by Blogger Ian, 1/05/2006 9:51 PM  
foodcrazee
Oh, I’m not really “maintaining” my blogs. This one tends to be forgotten sometimes. ;P

demon
Hi again. Glad to hear that your foot pain is almost gone now. (It's funny that when I hurt my leg, it's always my right leg...) Thanks for your concern about my mom.
I’d be glad to say hi to your wife if it works out. Don’t you ever think it’s rude to ask me that kind of thing. :D Feel free to email me at the address in my profile.
commented by Blogger obachan, 1/05/2006 10:12 PM  
Hi Obachan,
Parents at that age generally behave like that. I observed the same behaviour on my parents too. I mean, they are not annoying, but just mulish in their own way. They would vehemently refuse to request anything from you, telling you that they do not need this and that. So in the end, in order to get anything done, one has to do it either secretly or by force. Well, ever since I was young I always heard the phrase 'parents are like that'. How true and apt. But I think they are kind of cute, sometimes...
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 1/06/2006 10:16 AM  
I wonder if this applies to your parents, but over here, elder people in rural villages tend to be like my mom. They have health problems, but never go to the hospital. One reason is that in such places there is no hospital nearby, and there’s a lot of work to do in the farm. Taking a day off to go all the way to a hospital in town must have been an unforgivable luxury in the past, I think.
Anyway, I hope my trick works.
commented by Blogger obachan, 1/08/2006 1:52 AM  
Oh dear, I didn't mean to trivialise your mum's health condition. I am so sorry to hear that she is ill. When I made my remark about their stubbornness, I did not know that she was that ill. In that sense my parents are more fortunate to be in a less labour-intensive time. Most people of my parents' generation are fortunate enough to be able to lead a peaceful life without such demanding duty as farm work in their daily lives. The only exception in my family is my grandma who lives through the turbulent war time in a rural village. She is probably the only family member who has an idea of what farming is like, judging from her many stories about her life when she was a young girl. In fact, the habit has become such an integral part of her that she spends most of her time in the backyard garden doing miscellaneous things eventhough there wasn't any need to do them. Sorry if I had hurt your feelings, my deepest apologies.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 1/20/2006 1:33 PM  

Add a comment