OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

SMELL THE BAMBOO, KIDS...

Last Sunday, on my way back from the market, I saw an event taking place in the central park. I stopped by and walked around for a short while, taking a look at several booths. It looked like an event held by forest-industry related associations, aiming at having visitors familiarize with things related to forestry – such as woodwork, crafts, plants, ecological issues, etc.





Special emphasis was on several workshops to teach kids how to make and play with traditional toys made from woods.

The biggest workshop was taketombo (bamboo dragonfly) making workshop. Kids were making their original taketombo with the help of 3 or 4 adults, and playing with them.

When I was a kid, my parents taught me how to sharpen pencils with a knife, but no one taught me how to make a bamboo dragonfly. Many of these kids must be video-game experts at home, AND now they know how to make traditional handmade toys, too. Lucky them. Isn't that nice to be able to do both?

I really want them to remember the feel and smell of bamboo that they experienced as they made the toys today.
posted by obachan, 10/11/2005 12:29:00 AM

2 Comments:

I was there on Saturday!!!! I just today found your blogs, while Googling for Tosa restaurants in Tokyo. My husband is originally from Kochi and we were there Oct.7-9.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 10/26/2005 9:38 PM  
Hi mava,
It's such a nice coincidence! Did you see a middle-aged Japanese woman in the park taking pics everywhere? That was me ;)
Do you and your husband visit Kochi often? I hope you keep enjoying your visits to this prefecture... and my blogs, too.
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/27/2005 10:07 PM  

Add a comment