OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Monday, September 26, 2005

INTERESTING EXPERIMENT

I saw an interesting experiment on a TV variety show (re-run) today. They tried to find out if a professional orchestra can play classical music without hearing any sound of their instruments. The orchestra members, including the conductor, were deafened by ear plugs and loud noise from headphones, and played a piece of classical music. The result? They did a good job. There were some parts that sounded slightly strange, but overall performance was almost perfect. Impressive.

Talking about amazing talent in music, absolute pitch is another ability that looks really amazing to me. They say that having an absolute pitch and being a great musician are two different stories, which I agree. But I assume such an ability would help quite a bit in certain areas.

Oh well…even I might have some kind of talent, too, though it seems VERY latent. Hope it shows up before I get too old...
----

I’ve been watching the video news on MSNBC about Rita. So relieved that it didn’t result in a death toll as terrible as Katrina’s, though the damage seems still devastating. Hope things are getting better for the people affected...
posted by obachan, 9/26/2005 12:09:00 AM

4 Comments:

Being a musician let me just be slightly anal. It's absolute pitch.

joanna
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 9/26/2005 11:13 AM  
??
commented by Blogger obachan, 9/26/2005 1:51 PM  
I mean in English, it's called Perfect Pitch, rather than Absolute Pitch.

joanna
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 9/27/2005 2:27 AM  
Oh, I see. I thought those two terms were used alternatively, but I guess not. Thanks for pointing it out.
commented by Blogger obachan, 9/27/2005 11:44 AM  

Add a comment