OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Friday, May 27, 2005

AN EVENTFUL WEEKEND -2-

On Saturday (21st) and Sunday (22nd), I visited Kansai to see my friends there and try something that I’d always wanted to.

In the past, ferry boat was usually my first choice of transportation when going to Osaka. I thought it was the least expensive and most convenient choice. A couple of years ago, however, I noticed that the express bus costs the same and gives me more choice of arrival time in Osaka. The ferry boat arrives too early in the morning, like 6:30am, and I didn’t know what to do until most stores open at around 10:00am.

- Saturday 21st-
This time, I took an express bus and skipped lunch to save money for the dinner with fish fish. She had suggested a pub in Kyoto, the Hub near Keihan Sanjo station. The name of the place sounded familiar to me, probably because I’d seen the pub’s ad in “Kansai Time Out (a local information magazine)” or something.

I took Hankyu from Osaka to Kyoto to save money again, and walked from Hankyu Kawaramachi stn. to Keihan Sanjo along the Kamo river. Almost all restaurants along the river had terraces facing the river so that customers can enjoy beer there.





I had a nice dinner with fish fish and another blogger, Patrick at the Hub. (Details here.) Then I came back to Umeda by Hankyu again, met my Japanese friend there, and went to our favorite drinking place near Hanky Sanbangai. We had a lot to catch up on. Luckily, I wasn’t too drunk to forget calling a guy in Okayama about my plan on Sunday… yes, my plan of trying something I’d always wanted. The guy said that the weather was going to be OK, and he was looking forward to seeing me. I was so excited!


-Sunday 22nd –
It was drizzling when I woke up.
How come?! The weather forecast I checked a few days ago said sunny days for this weekend! How can this happen?!

What I was going to try for the first time was learning sports-kite flying. I had seen sports kite flying when I lived in Kansai, and I got fascinated by its move, but never had a chance to learn how to fly it. After coming back to Kochi, my interest in sports kite grew stronger every time I saw the deserted beach in my hometown. I tried to find sports kite flyers in Kochi, but with no success. Then one day I found that there is a sports-kite club in Okayama and they teach kite-flying for free of charge! And the location was where I can drop by on my way back from Osaka by JR. So it was a perfect plan…except the weather.

After I called the guy in Okayama and confirmed the cancellation of our meeting, I had to re-schedule everything planned on that day. I ended up spending most of the day shopping in Osaka, but I was so disappointed for the rest of the day. I didn't feel like taking any more pics, except the one of an eki-ben I bought in Okayama.

Oh, the only good thing was that I found some books that I couldn’t find in Kochi. So the trip to Kansai this time wasn’t a total waste of time/money after all…
Or I just have to convince myself of that.

posted by obachan, 5/27/2005 11:20:00 AM

4 Comments:

obachan;
Looking at the photos you posted almost reminded me of a small town in Vermont that lines the river. All the restaurants have balconies to eat and look at the river at the same time....It sure looks quiet there.
Nothing like the big cities... I could almost picture the area around the train station...I'm homesick....
hmmmmmm 

Posted by Anonymous
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/28/2005 4:01 AM  
Hi Anonymous commenter,
Thanks for stopping by :) Sorry for making you homesick.
I've never been to Vermont, but perhaps there's something universal in people wanting to enjoy meals/drinks and nice view at the same time. 

Posted by obachan
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/28/2005 2:14 PM  
I have always wanted to fly a kite but until now i never get a chance to do so. Plus i dont think my friends will be interested in flying kites with me :(. 

Posted by emotionalistic
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/28/2005 3:05 PM  
Hi emotionalistic,
I don't think I can find friends around here to fly kites with me, eithre. Sad... :( I'm sure I will enjoy flying kite anyway, no matter I'm with someone or not, but having no one to teach me when I'm a beginner is a pain in the neck.  

Posted by obachan
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 6/01/2005 5:44 PM  

Add a comment