OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Sunday, December 05, 2004

SOMETHING UNEXPECTED

I had heard that Typhoon NO.27 (Nanmadol) already died down by yesterday evening, so I wasn’t prepared for the storm last night. I even left some laundries drying on the balcony because they were not completely dry. The roof on the balcony usually saves the laundries from getting wet unless it rains too hard with a strong wind. But unfortunately, it did.

This is what happened. It was already too late when I noticed the strong wind and tried to get the laundries inside. I had no other choice but to dump all of them again in the washing machine. Of course all of my herbs were still on the balcony, soaked wet and being blown by the wind. Warnings of heavy rain and landslide were announced on TV. And believe it or not, it’s December, for God’s sake!!


The good thing is that the sun came out this morning to dry my laundries. My rosemary planter was lying on its side, but there seemed to be no damage to the plant. Nothing on my balcony seemed to have been blown away into the neighbors’ balconies or backyards. (What a relief!)

-------------
This afternoon I got an unexpected call from a friend of mine and we ended up shooting pool together for about an hour in the afternoon. We played 8-ball.

Speaking of 8-ball, I have the impression that 8-ball rules differ so much from country to country… I once played a guy from Africa, and his rule was like you get 2 shots after your opponent missed the pocket or scratched the cue ball, and it also gives you “ball in hand,” allowing you to start from anywhere you like. What do you think? I personally did not like that rule.

Today I played with someone else and we settled down with “all call-shots” and “cue ball in the kitchen after a scratch.” It was fun (at least, to me.)

BTW, I’ve heard about the movie “Pakners” (in which Efren Reyes played a role). I wonder if it was a big hit in Philippines…

posted by obachan, 12/05/2004 06:16:00 PM

3 Comments:

Hi Obachan, I'm glad I found this, your other blog as I was visiting your food blog. I really enjoyed reading your previous posts and will be coming back for more. So enlightning to read your reaction to The Last Samurai. Too bad that most of the time, Hollywood is the only source of information for most Americans. I bet a lot of people see movies like that and think they know Japan.
commented by Blogger JMom, 12/06/2004 12:18 PM  
Thanks and welcome to my scribbles : ) Well, that movie was a hollywood’s view of Japan after all, which was not 100% wrong nor 100% correct, I guess. BTW, have you heard about the movie, Pakners?
commented by Blogger obachan, 12/07/2004 1:11 AM  
No, I haven't. This is the first time I heard it, on your blog. I forgot to mention that when I commented before. I'll have to check it out. My kids love foreign films, and especially Filipino ones of course.
commented by Blogger JMom, 12/07/2004 1:25 AM  

Add a comment