OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Saturday, October 16, 2004

SKETCHING EXCURSION



persimmon tree


When I got there, however, I found that my assumption was totally wrong about the solitude of the place. The river was very close to the main road, and so many trucks were going up and down there. Some truck drivers looked at me like “what the heck is that woman doing here?” There seemed to be a cement factory or something near the river. In addition, I couldn’t find a path to go down to the river or a place to park my bicycle. Finally, I gave up sketching there on the spot, and instead I took some photos so that I can draw at home watching them.

It was still too early to go home, so I decided to try another place. There is a much bigger river not too far from my apartment, where you can usually see families picnicking or fishing on weekends. I rode bicycle for another 30 minutes to my new destination. When I got there I thought I made a right choice, but not for a long time.

In the spot where I had a nice view of the river, there was no shade. The sunshine in October is still very strong in the southern part of Japan, and it hurt my eyes so much when I looked at the white sheet in the sketchbook. So I went in a shade under some trees on the river bank, then I couldn’t have the view of the river almost at all. ( I’m going to have to buy a parasol someday for sketching. )

It left me with only one choice: photo taking. Again. I spent some time with my digital camera again, had lunch in a shade, and rode my bicycle back to my apartment.


cosmos



After I post this, I’m going to pick one good photo for drawing from all the ones I took today.


After all, it was a long day for my poor bicycle, I guess.

------------------

I posted the sketchhere.

posted by obachan, 10/16/2004 08:37:00 PM

2 Comments:

It is a pity that you could not enjoy sketching at the site, but I believe that you had good cycling. I'm expecting to see your painting from those photos.

I had a similar experience about 10 days ago. A friend of mine requested me to draw the temple Nanzenji in Kyoto for my next watercolor work. So I went there to make a rough sketch and take photos. The famous Sanmon (three-fold gate) of that temple was too big to draw from nearby, and there were so many trees to hide it to draw a little far from it. Therefore, I could not find any good angle to draw. I came back after taking three photos. One of them is now shown on the index page of IDEA & ISAAC home.

BTW, I posted my essay on comics today at the blog site "Surely I'm Joking!" I like to hear a comment on it from you, Dr. Manga. -- Tatsu
commented by Blogger Tatsuo Tabata, 10/17/2004 2:34 PM  
I saw your photo of Nanzenji. Looks like trees aren’t turning colors yet.
Oh, and please don't call me Dr. Manga. I know you are surely joking, but it's kind of embarrassing.
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/18/2004 3:10 PM  

Add a comment