OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Sunday, October 24, 2004

OUTING

My friend emailed me to let me know that there was some kind of international festival today. She kindly wrote the festival venue in her email, but I didn’t know exactly where it was. While I was wandering around trying to find the venue, I bumped into another festival. Gee, so many things are going on in this time of the year when the weather is so nice.


You can imagine the nice weather from this photo…

The one I accidentally found was some kind of “local specialty fair,” which is held to boost the local economy in small towns and villages in this prefecture. The local foods/crafts that we can not usually buy at regular supermarkets were sold at many stalls along the river. It was nice to rediscover the good things we have in our prefecture after all, and also nice to see some young visitors in this kind of fair.


roasting tea leaves


vegetable soup in a huge pot


charcoal-broiled foods



crafts

There’s one place in the U.S. that I remember when I think about the issue of “boosting local economy” or “attracting visitors from other places.” The population in that small place was six when I visited there more than 10 years ago. I wonder if it changed or not.
I’ll write more about that place in my next post…..

posted by obachan, 10/24/2004 11:57:00 PM

2 Comments:

I love the crafts from Japan.. they are so intricate.. :)
commented by Blogger Ms One Boobie , 11/04/2004 3:54 AM  
Hi Mrs Tweety,
Thanks for stopping by :) The ones in the photo are mostly made from cedar and Japanese cypress trees, IIRC.
commented by Blogger obachan, 11/04/2004 4:30 PM  

Add a comment