OBACHAN'S SCRIBBLES

Saturday, October 02, 2004

HERE'S TO YOU, ICHIRO!!



I’ve been avoiding writing about professional baseball, because I didn’t like what was happening with my favorite Japanese baseball team, Kintetsu Buffaloes. They’re going to merge with another team next season. Maybe this was going to happen sooner or later, but the team owners’ attitude was VERY annoying. I was really disappointed when, despite all the efforts by Mr. Furuta and all other players, the merger was finally officially decided.

But today is different. I’m happy to write about professional baseball, because it’s about a great achievement! Ichiro finally did this!!!(Ichiro Suzuki, a Japanese player in American Major League baseball team Seattle Mariners broke the record for the most hits in a single season. ) We haven’t heard about him in the beginning of this season as much as we did about Godzilla Matsui, but obviously Ichiro was working hard steadily. I sure admire his constant hard work.

I still remember the time when a Japanese pitcher Yutaka Enatsu went to MLB many years ago. Many called it foolish boldness. At that time, who would have imagined that a Japanese player would make a new record in MLB where all players are bigger and stronger than Japanese players? I, like some other Japanese baseball fans around me, thought that Japanese pitchers might have a better chance there if they had good control. But never expected a Japanese batter breaking a record that no one could break for more than 80 years!

So, here’s to you, Ichiro. Thanks for making our dream come true!!

posted by obachan, 10/02/2004 07:24:00 PM

10 Comments:

It's amazing; you write better in English than any American I can think of!! How did you become so proficient?
commented by Blogger Omni, 10/02/2004 8:35 PM  
Oh, thanks for the compliment. It’s very nice of you. Well, I lived in the U.S. for several years about 10 years ago, but I’m aware that my English isn’t that good… I keep correcting my errors here and there even after publishing, but there must be a lot of them still left in my posts. It’s embarrassing. But keeping this blog is a lot of fun, and that’s what it counts :)
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/03/2004 10:41 AM  
Hi!
I've never met a Japanese who's proficient in English. This is so refreshing :)
commented by Blogger Faze, 10/03/2004 7:10 PM  
and I love your photos. They're beautiful.
commented by Blogger Faze, 10/03/2004 7:14 PM  
Thanks again for the compliment, but there ARE many Japanese people who are proficient in English, so don’t worry. ;)
I guess my photo-taking is improving. But you know what the problem is now? My digital camera smells like beer .....
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/03/2004 7:43 PM  
It's strange that previous comments are about your English, not about Ichiro. In my second thought, however, it's not strange because your English at Blogger site is just like Ichiro's play in MLB. They both are arts!

I'm proud of being one of the oldest fans of Ichiro. I'm so, because my favorite baseball team in Japan has been Orix Blue Wave, where he had been playing before joining MLB. I'll also write about Ichiro at my blog site soon.

Now Orix Blue Wave and Kintetsu Buffaloes are going to be united to become Orix Buffaloes. Let's shake our hands, Obachan!
commented by Blogger Tatsuo Tabata, 10/04/2004 10:28 AM  
err...I know nuts about baseball :)
commented by Blogger Faze, 10/04/2004 10:24 PM  
>Tatsu --- Yes, let’s shake our hands… (But to be perfectly honest, I really really wanted to see the CURRENT Buffaloes win the Japan series !! Just once!!!)

> Fez --- That’s OK. You can still share my beer ;)
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/05/2004 12:40 AM  
I saw that game on TV but it was live and I saw it with my two eyes when he broke the record..Ichiro was so humble..and then he did it again..couldn't be happening I said..after all the record he broke was set decades ago.
commented by Blogger ting-aling, 10/21/2004 7:12 AM  
Hey, thanks for dropping by. Yeah, he is humble and that’s one of the things I like about him.
commented by Blogger obachan, 10/21/2004 10:40 AM  

Add a comment